Friday, September 24, 2010

Damn Essays!

Phew! Just wired $650 to the CFA institute......only just made it before the dealine. Once again i apologise for my absence from this forum, i've been too busy massaging my bruised ego. Infact, i hereby apologise in advance for any future acts of disappearance!
No i did not pass the CFA Exam (I'm sure you gathered that from the first paragraph). If i passed, i would have posted here immediately, screaming to the high heavens about the birth of Nigeria's latest finance prodigy! Instead, I've been left to lick my wounds, ponder about the nature of the failure (worse than last year) and entertain fleeting thoughts of hugging a transformer! Anyway, i've registered to take the exam again next year......finger's crossed.
MBA applications? Admissions season is finally here......I plan to apply to cambridge before the third deadline on December 7th (they have five deadlines) and Oxford before the second deadline in January. I should have heard from both these guys by February......i'll apply to Cranfield if i don't make it to either of the two. I've started working on the essays.....damn! It's tough! Especially as thats my only way to impress the admissions committee. I have a pretty average profile so i'll need to have stellar essays to have a chance. I'll need to make them laugh, impress them and make them absolutely want to meet me in person. Maybe I should outsource the job to Basket mouth although i doubt jokes about kanayo o kanayo would suffice. I'm currently working on the Cambridge essays;
Essay 1
What are the key issues facing organisations in your sector over the next three years? What course of action would you recommend to such organisations? (300 words)
Essay 2
What did you learn from your most spectacular failure? (200 words)
Essay 3
What are your short and long term career objectives? What skills/characteristics do you already have that will help you to achieve them? What do you hope to gain from the degree and how do you feel it will help you achieve the career objectives you have? (please do not exceed 500 words).
I have drafts for Essays 1 and 2 but i am far from happy. They just don't sound outstanding. I learnt to be Tenacious, Focused and Driven after i failed to make a 2.1! Who cares? Private Equity firms have to deal with inferior management teams....duh! everyone knows that.....now i understand what novelists go through! I haven't even started on the Oxford Essays;
Essay 1: Explain why you chose your current job. How do you hope to see your career developing over the next five years? How will an MBA assist you in the development of these ambitions? (1000 word maximum)

Essay 2: Which recent development, world event or book has most influenced your thinking and why? (2000 word maximum)
Recent development? That'll be a struggle as well........I'm thinking about using The West Wing (a series about the Presidency in America) to showcase how its got me thinking more about politics.
Anyway, till next time......adios, my non-existent fan base!

No comments:

Post a Comment